Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Weekend ...


Hi everyone - I'm leaving tomorrow for a few days holiday on Vancouver Island with dear friends. I hope that each of you will have the opportunity for some respite and relaxation as well. (And a heartfelt "thank you" to those who will continue to work in order to keep us all safe and healthy over the long weekend.)

There's something quite special about the spring holidays - a lightness and brightness that's qualitatively different from Thanksgiving or any of the winter celebrations. So, whether you observe Easter, Passover, Spring Equinox, Hali, or Vesak at this time of year, may you find some of that lightness and brightness in your surroundings and in your own hearts. May the fresh beauty of nature feed your souls and may the love of family and friends, even if far away, buoy and nourish you and bring you back to life.

I'll leave you with one of my favourite spring poems, written by children's author, Karla Kuskin, in 1958. I hope it will make you smile as you recognize the exuberance and joy of a child's dance with Spring.

Spring  


I'm shouting
I'm singing
I'm swinging through the trees
I'm winging skyhigh
With the buzzing black bees.
I'm the sun
I'm the moon
I'm the dew on the rose.
I'm a rabbit
Whose habit
Is twitching his nose.
I'm lively
I'm lovely
I'm kicking my heels.
I'm crying "Come Dance"
To the fresh water eels.
I'm racing through meadows
Without any coat
I'm a gamboling lamb
I'm a light leaping goat
I'm a bud
I'm a bloom
I'm a dove on the wing.
I'm running on rooftops
And welcoming spring!


Happy Easter!



Photo by Janet Ritchey



No comments: